Monday, October 27, 2008

richardson family games

when hubs and i were dating he once suggested that his major reason for getting married was to have someone handy to play games with. interesting. after asking at least one important clarifying question, i nipped that expectation in the bud. figured i should let him know early that i'm not crazy for board games (unless there is rampant cheating), hate card games, have no interest in video games, am basically no fun at all, and that he should consider whether or not any of my other fine qualities might be sufficient reason to continue the experiment. i think my exact words were: "i don't get it."

turns out speed scrabble is pretty fun. we play that. (also, in fairness, i have always been a fan of Letterman's "will it float?") AND, since the day when hubs graciously decided to take a chance on me, we have developed some new family games together. like last night's "guess how long that's been there," or, "kill it now!"

it's a great game to play if you have a refrigerator. the subject of our final lightning round: the black widow spider webbed out under my computer desk. we all got into the spirit. hubs cleared the desk, i stood by with my eagle eye and broom in hand, and Little got in the way.

we took the desk out back, flushed the arachnid out with a spray bottle, and hubs torched it with a lighter. i thought that was a little harsh.

i didn't take a picture of the old girl, but here's the last one i annihilated (humanely--with a shoe).
i have to admit this is a beautiful spider, as spiders go. maybe you have to be there. but it's really not creepy like those hairy brown ones. it's sleek, efficient, and all glossed out in shiny black with that vivid red hourglass. pretty stunning. i still don't want it hanging out where my Little likes to hide, or where i like to wiggle my bare toes, but i must say it cuts an impressive figure.

and that, friends, is my last black widow spider post...i hope.

18 comments:

Jana Brookes said...

my favorite game to play with you is:
let go to the mall department stores, pick out the ugliest piece of jewelry and see if we beat out the other for ugliest jewelry picked! and of course, laugh our heads off too!
oh, what fun times!:)

Sherry Carpet said...

maybe we should start playing that online, janner, since we're separated by so many cruel miles.

Jana Brookes said...

AWESOME!! Except I am not too brilliant at finding pictures online and copying and pasting them and all that. Maybe you can tell me how?!

richard dandelion said...

I wasn't into video games for a long time until Kitti bought me a Wii for my birthday.

I don't play very often, but when I need something fun and it's too cold outside (these days are coming soon), it's great.

Even Kitti, who's an avowed video game hater, is into it. Perhaps you and Bim can compromise on such a game, especially since you've got a fancy new TV.

Also: black widows may be elegant, but their webs are evidence of the pure evil that lurks under that scarlet broach... Tortured, tangled messes.

Shawn said...

Beautiful spider doesn't cut it for me. I think I truly have a phobia. Richard, are you coming back to my blog soon? I miss you.

Shawn said...

P.S. I love the "I don't get it" pose.

Michele said...

I'm a huge fan of speed scrabble- probably to the point of "hmmm, she's a little crazy."

I had a black widow living behind our piano, and several in our tomato plants. We killed those. We peacefully coexist with the daddy long legs in the bathroom because they eat the ants. It's like wild kingdom over here.

Nicea said...

Say no to spiders.

Lola said...

sick. i have chills and i'm pretty sure i just threw up a little bit in my mouth. sick.

p.s. if you really love me you won't post any more spider pictures. c'mon!

Meg said...

I'm with Lo. Sick. I just killed to widows of my own the other day, luckily they were outside though. Still, yuck!

Brian and I are a little obsessed with Lord of the Rings online. I was never much of a gamer, but we play it now whenever we get the chance. It's good together time, even though our togetherness is through two online characters and we are sitting 10 feet away from eachother :)

Jana Brookes said...

Our favorite video game is Ghost Recon! Yes, we too, sit 10 feet apart and blow the brains out of our enemies....it really kind of let's me blow off steam. Scary? Don't worry, it's not really graphic, and I am not really psycho! I am also not a big game lover.
Another vote for no more spider pics!

Also, another wierd note...the last two word verifications were
mentr
and
grater
i thought that was funny...
did make up the words and spell them a little off so we wouldn't know??!! :)
this one says jigmo :)

jaymie said...

what the heck with black widows. we just got one last week. is it a sign of the times?

speed scrabble with the richardsons?...if only in my dreams.

Ty and Trista Swartzlander said...

Games, games. games. Pick two is super fun as far as games go. Too bad we didn't play before you guys had to move. We miss you here. By the way, we got kicked out of the ward with some boundary changes. :(

Meg said...

Totally off subject of this post, but if you are still looking for names, how about Mia or Maya or Jovi?

Sherry Carpet said...

thanks, meg! we actually had maya on the list for a while -- maja, the danish version. i think we're narrowing down to middle names now, so keep up the suggestions. i like bon jovi.

richard dandelion said...

You know, bon jovi just means "good" jovi. Yours would be the best, though; you'd have to call her meilleure jovi. she'll probably shoot you through the heart though. and give love a bad name. and be slippery when wet. and ride iron horses.

i'll go now.

richard dandelion said...

Whither the teaser from this blog to your excellent post on state of friss?

Everybody, I highly recommend it, if you ever have the means. Check it out!

annie said...

ps my favorite game to play with you: oooh this is cute...is it $20 cute? no. then you put the item back and turn on your heel with a toss of your hair and a sniff. :)