Sunday, June 28, 2009

my childhood is officially over

i remember sitting under my mom's ironing board as she worked, listening to her Thriller album. i'm pretty sure he was my first crush.

when i was in grad school his live concert in Madison Square Garden was broadcast on TV. when the white glove came out, my roommate rebecca and i went into complete idiot mode. by the time he started moon walking, we were screaming like those girls in the early Beatles footage. i kept climbing on the furniture trying to get higher. not sure why. i still get chills thinking about that day.
michael died at the hospital where Little was born. she already likes to groove to Billie Jean and Beat It, but i still have so much to teach her. and so much ironing to do.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I got chills reading it! I think I felt the same way like a part of my childhood just left.

Jana Brookes said...

I think a little part of all of us died when we heard the news. Do you remember where you were when you heard he died? Who told you?
I am always at smith's when I hear about people dying. It's also where I was when I heard President Hinckley died. I work too much.
Sorry for your innocent childhood years ending :(

Nicea said...

Sad. Much too young, too.

annie said...

and right when he was about to make a come-back, too. so sad.

Meg said...

In tribute we spent the morning watching utube music videos. Lyza loved the music and it definitely took us back to younger days, remembering how everyone wanted that red jacket and to wear just one glove on their hand.