why is today unlike any other day?
(1) on this day in 1509, henry VIII acceded to the throne of england after the death of his father.
(2) on this day in 1836, texas revolted. a day after the battle of san jacinto, forces under texas general sam houston captured mexican general antonio lopez de santa anna. booya.
(3) at high noon in 1889, thousands rushed to claim land in the land run of (you guessed it) 1889. Within hours, oklahoma city and guthrie were formed with populations of at least 10,000.
(4) in 1945, after learning that soviet forces had taken eberswalde without a fight, adolf hitler admitted defeat in his underground bunker and stated that suicide was his only recourse.
(5) we celebrate lola p. halberschmidt dee-yaz (a.k.a. 'my sister lauren') for being born and living every day for 25 years. just kidding, 26.
(6) also, it's earth day.
lauren is my best friend and one of the funniest people i know. also, despite what i may have told everyone in my toast at her wedding, she is a very organized and tidy person.
and now, a list of just a few of my favorite things about lauren:
a. she is really pretty and not one bit vain.
b. she's a recognized talent in floral design who occasionally arranges flowers for the dalai lama.
c. she once had a bunny named winston.
d. she doesn't like everything to be easy.
e. she's extra brave. (double extreme)
f. she has a mean sense of humor but she's kind to everyone.
g. she can make friends with any type of person, and they all love her back.
h. she reminds me of our mom.
i. she tells me when i'm being stupid.
j. she can frizz her hair straight up without hairspray.
k. she is allergic to cats.
and now, a short quiz for people who think they know lauren. which of the following is a lie?
(1) in high school, she dated her substitute teacher.
(2) she has attended 6 different institutions of higher learning and is contemplating a 7th.
(3) when she was little, she wanted her name to be princess consuela bananahammock.
i love you, larne!
readers, please leave your guesses & birthday wishes here...
p.s. historical facts provided by wikipedia. if they're wrong, blame them.