Sunday, April 6, 2008

The View From Here

We've been home for a week of days, and a few more on top of that. It's still too early for the complete tour. Until then...here is the "office" corner of our new nest.


If, while seated at the computer, I should turn and loor over my right shoulder, this is what I would see. Call it the hearth, the heart of the home.
If I look straight ahead, I see my neighbor's lemon tree (tragically laden with overripe lemons that are too large to be snuck through the chain link fence).

To the left, a carport and our backyard neighbors or, if I have my new homespun curtains drawn...
This is a place to love, a place in which to dig deep and plant. These are not idle words; I am seriously considering an herb garden. Or tomatoes? The point is:



For the first time in a long time, maybe ever, I am setting up a life that isn't shadowed by the next move, the next big change. What changes we do experience will not be the kind to uproot us for a while. I sound convinced, but I am half fooling. I am not completely sure even now that I can trust this "too good to be true" scenario we've built. Probably the strong pull of habit is keeping me slightly off-center. And yet. I am steering by a certain kind of faith that tells me I am home.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

If it's that laden with lemons, you should probably just go over and ask if you can have some. They will probably give you a couple...of bushels. I wish I had a lemon tree in my yard. Well, I wish I had a yard. Our green space is tiny and is loaded with gravel and sand from the snow being plowed into the yard.

Sherry Carpet said...

Sarah, Our green space is pretty tiny too - you wouldn't be wistful if you saw it! I hope Spring reaches you soon.

Jana Brookes said...

So excited to see some of your views! Sure is different than both of your last two places huh?!!

Jaime and Ann said...

Wow! Congrats on the move! You described it perfectly when you said "habit keeping you slightly off-center." People keep asking us if we plan to make Washington our home and a part of me wants to say, "Yes, I'm tired of moving!" but the other half of me just can't seem to feel it that we are here to stay. I have this nagging feeling that we are leaving sometime for another, more permanent state, whatever it may be. I'm looking for a job, so we'll be here a while more. I guess we have time to think about it.