Tuesday, April 22, 2008

it's april 22, people




why is today unlike any other day?

(1) on this day in 1509, henry VIII acceded to the throne of england after the death of his father.

(2) on this day in 1836, texas revolted. a day after the battle of san jacinto, forces under texas general sam houston captured mexican general antonio lopez de santa anna. booya.

(3) at high noon in 1889, thousands rushed to claim land in the land run of (you guessed it) 1889. Within hours, oklahoma city and guthrie were formed with populations of at least 10,000.

(4) in 1945, after learning that soviet forces had taken eberswalde without a fight, adolf hitler admitted defeat in his underground bunker and stated that suicide was his only recourse.

(5) we celebrate lola p. halberschmidt dee-yaz (a.k.a. 'my sister lauren') for being born and living every day for 25 years. just kidding, 26.
(6) also, it's earth day.

lauren is my best friend and one of the funniest people i know. also, despite what i may have told everyone in my toast at her wedding, she is a very organized and tidy person.

and now, a list of just a few of my favorite things about lauren:

a. she is really pretty and not one bit vain.
b. she's a recognized talent in floral design who occasionally arranges flowers for the dalai lama.
c. she once had a bunny named winston.
d. she doesn't like everything to be easy.
e. she's extra brave. (double extreme)
f. she has a mean sense of humor but she's kind to everyone.
g. she can make friends with any type of person, and they all love her back.
h. she reminds me of our mom.
i. she tells me when i'm being stupid.
j. she can frizz her hair straight up without hairspray.
k. she is allergic to cats.

and now, a short quiz for people who think they know lauren. which of the following is a lie?

(1) in high school, she dated her substitute teacher.
(2) she has attended 6 different institutions of higher learning and is contemplating a 7th.
(3) when she was little, she wanted her name to be princess consuela bananahammock.

i love you, larne!

readers, please leave your guesses & birthday wishes here...
p.s. historical facts provided by wikipedia. if they're wrong, blame them.

11 comments:

Jana Brookes said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAUREN!!! HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY CELEBRATING YOUR WONDERFUL SELF!! YOU ARE SUCH A SWEETHEART AND I THINK YOU REMIND ME OF YOUR AWESOME MOTHER TOO.
I THINK IT IS A LIE THAT YOU WANTED TO BE NAMED PRINCESS CONSUELA BANANAHAMMOCK BECAUSE THAT IS THE NAME I WANTED WHEN I WAS LITTLE! J/K--IT IS WHAT PHOBE FROM FRIENDS WANTED THOUGH!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY GRIL! LOVE YA!

Man Child said...

Lo,

Everything Krista said is true, except the banana hammock bit. You are one of a kind and the whole world is better for having you here.

I think you are one of those people that lift everyone around you up, and your influence through those people sends ripples of goodness through the whole world.

I love you and hope you have a fappy b-day (fappy = fun + happy, surprised you didn't know that).

Love, B

miss kitti said...

Birthday Wishes! (a day late) I hope it was frikkin' fantastik.

abbyjane said...

I wouldn't have known the answers to any of those except that I happened to be an avid 'Friends' watcher. Man!

Happy B-day Cuz! May all your dreams come true. In fact, Jeff substituted once. Does that turn you on? I'd let you borrow him for a night. I wouldn't even tell Eric--just no hanky panky. Ewwww.

Both of you remind me of your mom.

Nicea said...

Happy belated birthday to Lo-eee. I probably spelled that wrong, but in any case, it's the name I remember your mom calling you. I'm so incredibly lucky to have you as a niece. Old B-hal was right that the world is a better place with you in it. Hope it was a lovely day yesterday...heck, don't stop with one day. Now's as good a time as any to let you in on my philosopgy of life: Birthdays should be celebrated indefinitely! Ours usually are because we're always so late with the presents! They just keep rollin' in--day by day, week by week, sometimes month by month. :>)

Travis said...

hmm I don't know your sister, but she is cute like you. I have no idea which one is not true, I think they are all true and you forgot to post a lie!

Lola said...

gee, thanks, kressa! yer nice and i love you also.

*just to clarify, all 3 quiz questions were false.
1. I didn't date my substitute teacher until I actually graduated high school (you really keep outdoing yourself when it comes to embarrassing me on your blog...thanks)
2. I have only attended 6 schools post high school, right? And that's only true if you count the poetry class I took from you that I never paid for, nor got credit for. did i ever tell you that? oops.
3. Well, actually this one is true.

Thanks everyone for the happy wishes! except for the stranger that posted last, i don't know her AND she didn't wish me a happy birthday. she did call me cute, though, so all is forgiven....THIS TIME.

Love you, K. You're the best BFF ever.

Megan said...

I knew you loved rabbits. You're a closet rabbit lover. Yes!

I don't know Lauren yet, but Happy Birthday!

JenRocks said...

Krista,

Hey girl!! It's Jen Reckling. I have the BEST memories of my NY visit and your delicious German pancake breakfast you made for me! I have been looking for your new email address for a while and was so happy to find your cool blog! It was so great to see that Lauren got married too! And your daughter is adorable!! I'd love to catch up. jennirec@yahoo.com

Nancy said...

happy birthday to your sister!

Bim told me about your blog today, so I am going to add you to the list of people I check up on via the internets! Hope you are doing well, your baby is soooo big and sooo cute!

Nancy Allred

Sherry Carpet said...

Thanks, everyone! The correct answer is (C), as Abby and Jana guessed right away. No matter what Lauren says.