Saturday, October 31, 2009

you'll wear it and you'll LIKE IT!

it's not right the way i've been eating their candy. so i let a few things slide, like sneaky-secret candy eating from the jar she's not supposed to be able to reach. because i know.

halloween morning i woke early after a restless sleep. {shout} BECAUSE HALLOWEEN IS FUN!

{whisper} ...for the children.

i just can't resist hijacking this holiday. costumes are uber-fun. candy is wonderful. i know there are people out there who decorate their christmas trees on christmas eve and buy candy on halloween day. fine for them. i start planning costumes in march. or even, november. i try to use materials i already have around the house. the only purchase i had to make was a men's shirt with a medical logo, from Goodwill. i cut it down to sew a lab coat for Little.

but this morning, after being jangled awake by my ticking brain, i began to mentally prepare myself for the worst: i'm on my way to a chain store to buy a costume {ew} for a little girl who decided she didn't care for the TWO her mama made for her. she wants to be a scaaaaary dinosaur. curse the library and its cursed books teaching my kid to choose her own costume!

at least it won't be hard to "get" her costume. "what is she, doctor frankenstein? a mad scientist? einstein? gene wilder?" yes. all of those. my favorite was the year i went to a party dressed as hester prynne; 3 people thought i was the first letter of the alphabet.

okay, gotta go...before the dinosaurs are all gone. happy halloween!

8 comments:

Meg said...

Love the gnome! What a cute idea! Does Ally love her glasses as much as Lyza?
Cute little Harry Potter, and can't wait to Ally's scary dinosaur. I spent all day yesterday, and am still working on this morning, a cinderella dress for Lyza. Just couldn't talk her into wearing one her many dress up dresses(Snow White, Tinkerbell, Barbie Nutcracker. . ., it had to be cinderella. :)

Nicea said...

I just love this post title! Last week I was at Abby's friend Jen's house getting my hair cut and she put her two children in their costumes (both gnomes) to show me. Her little girl loves her costume, but her little boy (almost 2) hated having his put on him. Jen was so funny. After the basic costume struggle, she couldn't get him to put his gnome hat on for anything. She finally gave up and said (humorously, and I quote) You'll wear it and you'll like it.

Ha! Young motherhood. Some things never change. Your little gnome is precious.

Nicea said...

Oh, and your curly-haired child, the one with the big nose and the mustache, does she happen to speak French?

Shawn said...

So adorable! I'm sitting here waiting for the first ring of the bell so I can stop eating and start giving out the candy.

P.S. I just got home and got the dishtowels. I love them! Thank you so much!

Jamie said...

I love it, I love it, I love it! (With one foot kicking the air above my head)

Megan said...

Honestly I think that little gnome is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I might even steal the picture and put it on my blog stating such. Did you make that?! You are amazing on so many levels.

dana said...

That picture of Liv in the grass is AWESOME. totally cool and cute.

Jana Brookes said...

cute gnome girl! how cute! I saw a boy probably about 16 dressed as a gnome at smith's, not so cute!

autumn was doin' the same darn thing. she saw logan dressing up in her witch costume and begged to be a witch also. i already had a lady bug and an angel from years past, so i really didn't want to buy another. i told a friend of my guilt and she said she had a witch costume i could have! great, problem solved! not quite. the costume had several long snags (which I probably should have just ignored, but i couldn't) so i decided i'd try to be a creative and crafty mom and buy some netting or tulle and cover it and make a little skirt. so i do, and what does it get me? a girl who is pretty much terrified of the dress now for some weird reason and refuses to wear it........grrrrrr. she was the stinkin' lady bug after all that. the costume that i wanted her to be in the first place.

THE THINGS WE DO!!!