Sunday, February 1, 2009

"how strange and fine to get so near to it"

Liv Josephine, 8 lbs. 1 oz., 21.25"
born jan 29, 2009

"The arches of her feet are like voices
of children calling in the grove of lemon trees,
where my heart is as helpless as crushed birds."

-from "Finding Something" by jack gilbert

it's so hard to capture the magnitude of wee. the camera adds 10 weeks. this is really a small, small creature. and the next person who tells me that 8 lbs. is a big baby is going to get "the look" from me. seriously.


and now, some notes on birthing: how easy is it now?! oh, my. i went in for my regular checkup and the doc's like, how come you're still pregnant and i'm like, wish i knew, and she's like, want to have this baby today? because you're already 3 cm anyway, and i'm like, let me think, YES! and she's like, head on over to the hospital and an hour later, there i am sucking on a popsicle, having like, 6 packs of sweet jello and getting needles driven into my arms.

if anyone cares for the longer version, i'll add more later, but the short goes like this: in at noon, pitocin at 2, epidural at 4:30, baby at 7:30. with this important detail: Wee was born within about 5 minutes of the doc entering the room. NICE. the rest of the day is all about me trying to move my right leg and find a way to bust out of the hospital. the best i could do was smolder from my adjustable bed (vrrrrr, up, vrrrrr, down) and send Wee my best care-bear stare from across the room.

but now we're home, being taken care of by my dad and natalie.

and i give in. i have submitted completely to pink. i am surprised by how good it feels. (the banner on the mantle is a decoration from my killer baby shower, thrown by super-shower stylists melissa and dana*) i guess i'm just feeling a post-birth blush of happiness.

here i am glowing with gratitude as the awesome nurse drones endlessly on with a redundant list of mothering tips (sarcastic about the list, serious about the awesome nurse. all the nurses were stellar ladies, especially considering the kind of gross parts of their job that they perform cheerfully. special shout-out to marlene, our first night nurse, whom i will probably never forget).
hospital policy required us to stay for 48 HOURS after the birth so Wee could be "observed." OBSERVE THIS: me giving a nutter** to the next person who knocks politely and then barges into our room to perform some further indignity on my body, or Wee's.

*a really lovely evening, of which i have NO PICTURES because i am a lame-o and did not think about my camera once until the next morning.

**new term i learned, describing a tactic whereby i grab said person by the shoulders and smash our heads together like a couple of summer melons.

23 comments:

Shawn said...

Oh, Krista. I am so happy for you and Bim and G&G Halverson who are the lucky people who get to take care of you. Wee is so precious. Thanks for the pictures. I think I may need to do a little shopping:) xox

danyelly said...

So so tiny! I love her and can't wait to meet her. Let me know when I can pick up Ally to come play with Michael!

annie said...

she's like a little anne geddes baby! (please don't give me the "look" for calling your baby kitsch. anne geddes uses really cute babies. K? ok.)

love you.

Tyler and Jenica said...

Congratulations Krista! How precious! Are you doing to tell us her real name, or did you really name her Wee? I want to know!!!

2x2momma said...

Baby Liv is so precious Krista! I just want to cup her in my hands- she's so tiny and sweet! Congratulations!!

Lola said...

how am i not there? i don't even know. you are so pretty.

kelly riding said...

You look amazing! Yea for little Wee finally making her appearance. I can't wait to meet her. Love her chin!

Sarah said...

Really, she's so sweet! I'm about to cry, but that might be the hormones talking. 8 pounds feels like a lot if you have to feel it coming out, like me, but when you look at it and compare it with the world around it is so tiny! I wish I was there, but I might puke on you so I guess it's just as well. Here's me wishing I was there and sending my love to you and you family.

Jamie said...

You are so witty! I love reading your blog. Congratulations on bringing that sweet wee baby into the world. She is precious.

dana said...

Oh wow. She is real cute (and real tiny). And our birth stories sound real similar. Hooray for giving birth when you're seriously at breaking point and can't imagine another night of "sleeping" with a big belly. Sounds like everything went well!
Fun 'welcome home' balloons.
Congrats!

jaymie said...

welcome,welcome baby liv! so glad that you're home and together. she is adorable! looks a bit different from ally, no? i wish i was there to snuggle her but that would mean ruby, max and jane trying to get in on the action as well. i think the kids and i will skip our trip to l.a. this weekend and cash our chance to see her on the next trip down (March 11th). and i hear ya! there is nothing like Hungtington's newborn "policies" that make you seriously consider home birth.

i love the welcome home pic. you are seriously a beautiful lady.

Jana Brookes said...

I love the new pink blog! Hey you just had another beautiful baby girl! Dive into the pink head on!
So glad you are home and being taken care of!
I will never tell you that 8 lbs is a big baby! She is tiny weeny compared to Logan and Autumn 10 and 9 lbs! There, make you feel any better?!!
I love the tiny foot pics and little tiny baby body on a HUGE bed! That puts it into perspective a little more!
Kelly was right, you look amazing, and Lauren is right too, you are so pretty!!

love you so!

Jacks said...

i like this post. 8 pounds is tiny. so tiny. i don't think i shall ever have an 8 pounder. lucky you. these are beautiful pictures. and you look hot even when staring at the nurse. what's up with that?

Meg said...

Beautiful! I love that you chose Josephine, it is so elegant and goes well with Liv. I want to come and kiss those little feet! She is beautiful. So does she look like Ally when she was born? I can't really remember? I'm glad this birth was cinchy also! Hooray for teeny tiny babies!

Nicea said...

Oh, Krista. You are sooo beautiful and your babies are absolutely darling. I like the way Liv looks like she's hanging onto her hat. Guess she's getting ready for the ride of her life!

Nicea said...

P.S. Your blog is always so interesting to read. I love the quotes and poetry. How do you remember all that stuff?

Nicea said...

Oh, my goodness! I just realized it! You just got your brain back, didn't you! Baby born. Brain back. (Not that I ever thought you'd lost it. But you thought that.)

The Lewis Family said...

Congratulations you guys!We are so happy for you.

Arianna was 8 lbs 6oz when she was born; everyone kept telling us, "Oh, what a big baby". She's so big this and she's so big that. It does get old after a while. I'm like she's just a baby and yeah so what she has rolls.

Jean said...

CONGRATS!!! Liv is beautiful! I love love love the name that you chose. You are amazing. Way to go, Mama!!

JenRocks said...

Hey new momma of two precious girls! Congrats to you and Bim. I love take on life and your eloquence in your blog and the humor and curiosity you have for life! I wish you all the best in the fun year ahead!

Love, Jen :)

Michele said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. And she is teeny weeny!

Erica said...

She is so cute it hurts! Congrats

Maudie Jane said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you and the wee. Oh how I hope that my delivery goes as well, how nice to hear.
She is so beautiful and so tiny. My teen babysitter tried to tell me that eight pounds was such a big baby, hose beast. I almost slapped her and then cried, I would be so lucky to only have an eight pound baby.
BTW, I love the socks