Sunday, May 9, 2010

superlative

the best meditation is this: to watch your child fall asleep. not just any child will do, though it's a fine thing to see any small one off to their dreams and quiet. it's part of our routine these days; first i rock Wee to a twilight sleep--that posture of surrender while still stirring softly--then put her gently on her back and close the door. meanwhile Little thumps around collecting her books, and then it's her turn. she reads to me, i read to her, we talk about our day and make up if we've had {m}any regrettable outbursts. she's so forgiving at this hour, so warm and near and wanting to be so. she makes soft clicking sounds with her lips and tongue as she settles under my arm, then gradually rolls into her own space. she's asleep before i think it's possible.



the best sleep: is in the tent in the backyard. happy mother's day to me.



the best mother's day gift in church: is the sweet, edible kind. way to come through for me, pasadena. almost makes up for the hymn i had to lead last week. again we meet around the board...? really? i'm still reeling from that soprano solo. here's a tip. there aren't as many sopranos out there as there are women who think they're sopranos. but i give the people what they want: a show. of buffoonery.



happy mother's day to you.

& happy 300th post, Bimpire!

8 comments:

Meg said...

I love that you and Little make up before bed. So lovey. And does Liv really go to bed that well? Crossing my fingers Peter is like that :)
*Sleeping children are my favorite. I sometimes see Lyza sleeping so peacefully and I just want to go jump on her bed and wake her up to play a bit longer. And then I remember how much effort it took to get her to sleep in the first place, and I quietly shut the door and pray she sleeps all night long :)

Janae said...

I love bedtime too. I LOVE reading stories to my babies all cuddled up on my bed.

P.S. Regan has that shirt (the one Little is wearing). Is it just me or do we both shop at Old Navy a lot?

Natalie said...

Believe it or not, long, leggy-usually-thinks-she-knows-everything-and-is-to-grown-up-for-most-things will still do this cuddling once in a while. And it is still just as wonderful. However, she no longer fits in my lap. That is now reserved for little girls with fairy wings and cheerio noses, poison apples, and little boys who love to giggle.

Nicea said...

I have a blond one who still likes to cuddle. And there was a time when my artist liked it, too, but she's not been around in awhile so I don't know if that's still true. You have such a perfect little nest there. That warmth and sweetness, peace and trust....ahhh. Must be what heaven's like.

dietcokegrrl said...

How much do I love that pic with Liv and the Cheerio (or Joe's O) on her nose.

So jealous about the chocolate...I knew I was missing out on Sunday. Freaking Utah didn't do anything...except have a few boring talks. I guess I should just be lucky that they even said Happy Mother's Day, right? I made up for it tonight with Trader Joe's Truffle Brownies that I brought with me from CA.

Sorry I missed the solo...chorister is definitely one calling I DON'T miss. (dang, it...now that I said that, they're going to call me to it).

Miss you guys!

Shawn said...

After years of lobbying for sweets (apparently to the wrong people), we still get flowers or a potted plant at church on Mother's Day. So this year I brought chocolate to RS to share so we could have flowers AND chocolate.

Yay Pasadena. And yay for a mother who reads to and rocks her children to sleep.

Nicea said...

P.S. And for Mother's Day at church (yes, here in Utah!) we got the most scrumptious, creamy, deliciously thick chocolate bar you have ever tasted--locally made! And for a couple of years before that, one lady hand dipped six different chocolates and put them in little white boxes tied up with ribbons and gave a box to each mother. Sadly, she's no longer with us. But, between your cute little "duos" and my Mother's Day chocolate---well, yes, I must be in heaven.

sachia said...

Your doing a great job up there...no buffoonery just excellence. It's always fun to look at your well put together outfits too.