Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Licking Chocolate and Lichtenstein

This weekend was the annual chocolate festival at the Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden in Coral Gables. When I think that we almost missed it ...well, I get a little emotional. Bim hasn't had a free Saturday for a while and we decided we'd better make use of our weekend since we have only 6 or 7 left here in Miami.

Bim found the event online. Probably googling "chocolate" and "pretty flowers." You know men.

It turned out to be a beautiful day and the gardens are one of our new favorite places in the world. Several large art pieces by Lichtenstein were installed on the grounds, too. A little surreal, but I guess that's the point.

Roy Lichtenstein vs. Nature



A little nut in a tree



Looking at the butterfly...

Ally looking dappled; me looking a little too happy?

My impression of the plant behind me.

We spent several hours wandering paths through the rain forest, the spiny gardens of Madagascar, the butterfly conservatory, and the big tent with all the chocolate. Nice jazz music was playing, peddlers were selling Italian ices and floppy hats, and Ally had acres and acres of green grass to frolick through.

So, thumbs up for the Fairchild. If you live nearby, go there.

3 comments:

miss kitti said...

Beautiful pics. I love getting to see what you guys are doing.

Travis said...

You guys do such fun stuff! Congrats Bim on filling in for the judge, I agree you are a smarty pants! It looks so warm down there I am starting to get jealous. I love winter but I am getting ready for spring.

Jaime and Ann said...

Jaime and I were there during the glass sculpture display. I second you when saying it's a neat place!