Wednesday, June 4, 2008

driving at night

it's not really night. by the time our lawn is dark, i have a tired bod and every part of me, from the brain down, reclines toward sleep. i'm not much use to anyone then, and i would probably be a menace on the road. but in the early evening, if bim gets home in time and Little submits to her bed, i sometimes go driving.

tonight i went to our little local library and wandered for as long as i could, needing to use the little girls' room but wanting to find the right book before giving in. on the drive home i was rewarded by those killer san gabriel mountains.

mmm, boy. it's that time of evening when the mountains turn in profile, pull on their night wraps--the most delicate purple layers--and smoke quietly against the auburn sky of the city's outer urbs. can mountains be delicate? yeah, they can. add that to the list of things-i-didn't-know-i-needed-till-i-saw-em.

i'm not sleeping too well. already i'm getting uncomfortable in my skin, to the point that exhaustion isn't enough to throw me over the wall. in that sleepy-but-not-sleeping stage of the evening, when i'm too far gone to read or talk, i turn on the telebee. last night i think i watched 3 straight hours. i guess i sort of look to the tv as that boat (you know the one, from mythology and yore) that carries me across the river styx to the underworld or, in this less morbid case, to sleep. once you've boarded that boat, you're not so interested in the journey as you are in the destination, not knowing what the he** to expect, but not in the least motivated to avoid it. and so you end up watching farmer wants a wife.

come to think of it, pregnancy is kind of that way for me--like the riverboat, i mean, not reality television (which i still think is stupid, stupid, stupid). at its best and worst, pregnancy and childbirth are a necessary journey for me to travel before i can receive my darling bundle of kicks and spit. does this mean i must confront death to approach birth? hm. either way, it's not a time when i am fully aware of what's going on around me except to notice that the boat won't stop rocking and i'm about to heave-ho.

this time around i am going to try to document the experience more carefully. i'm bound to say some stupid things (see above). but, i ask you, how can it be otherwise when i'm always half asleep?

14 comments:

Cheryloxx said...

I'm so glad to hear that someone else isn't enamored with pregnancy. I really haven't enjoyed it so far. I was looking forward to feeling the baby move, then I did, then I didn't and now I'm back to anxiety ridden days and nights. I realize a lot of people can't get pregnant and that being there is a devastating prison-like existence, but frankly, pregnancy isn't all that fun for me either.

Jacks said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!

I don't like being prego - but I do kind of like that early period when I really, really need sleep and my body falls easily into sleep. (Especially compared to the end when I can't sleep at all).

Tyler and Jenica said...

Oh how crazy! Yes we live in the new Orsini apartments at 550 N. Figueroa. We would love to see you this Sunday! You need to show us some fun things to do (it seems like you are always hiking or visiting someplace beautiful!)

xoxo Jenica

Travis said...

I think I totally missed an announcement...did I? So when are you due? Yeah for having another little one around. Can't wait to find out if its a girl or boy, or did I miss that one too?

Sherry Carpet said...

Actually, there wasn't much of an announcement, so you didn't miss anything Janae. In fact, I don't think Bim has even told his parents yet, and I am yet to get either of my brothers on the phone to tell them (though I have tried, B & J). It'll be a while yet before we know if we're getting the girl kind or the boy kind, but we'll let you know!

Travis said...

Oh Gotcha....So its still pretty early. Well it seems that CONGRATS is in order!!!

Meg said...

Yahoo! I am so excited for you and hope you aren't feeling nauseas these days! So when are you due?

Jamie said...

Krista! You are one heck of a talented writer. I love reading your posts. I just found everyone's blogs today and have started one of my own since last night. You remember Kevin from Jenica's wedding, right? We're doing this blog together and sharing it with friends and family so they can get to know our significant others a little better.

http://kevypooandjeebers.blogspot.com/

Love you!

Megan said...

Um, what? Baby, who? Baby, how? Baby, when?

Is this just a fake out test to see who actually reads your blog? Not nice! Maybe I should try it.... I'm pretty sure the reaction to my being pregnant would fairly different!

Megan said...

Oh, and congratulations if this pregnancy is for real. And if it is for fakes, you are in so much trouble girl.

Shawn said...

Congrats on the pregnancy, Krista! I am so happy for you and so happy for me that I'm not nauseated.

Shawn said...

Krista, I love reading your stuff. I was reading in the archives (the other night I spent 4 hours reading blogs--that was a first) and I saw the one about the Bishop and the bikini. We ought to talk. When I was RS Pres against my will my Bishop said to me, "Shawn, you are second in command after me." That's when I knew the ward was in trouble. He loves to be in command of all things. I only lasted a little over a year as his RSP. Now I feel the need to say something to redeem him--ACE!! I will probably BIH for this.

richard dandelion said...

So, first, and I think I speak for B here, too--would you mind referring to us collectively as J&B rather than the other way around? Thanks.

Second, I love your writing. Love it.

annie said...

so i read this post a while ago and love love loved it. i had a little thought in my little head, is krista pregnant again? and then i dismissed the thought and continued on my oblivious way.

congrats, dear cuz. i'm so happy for you and bim and little.

ps will this next one be called "small?"