Sunday, August 31, 2008

"i wasted time and now time wasteth me"

- william p. shakespeare


a few of you may remember a resolution i made not too long ago: to be more deliberate, more thoughtful and less scatter-brained.

so far this week i have forgotten the following (all of which were clearly marked on my fridge calendar):
(1) a meeting i had planned on going to for months;
(2) a neighborhood barbecue thrown by a friend two streets away, to which i was supposed to bring a potluck dish;
(3) a promise i made to help clean the church.

i know, big deal. and yet. recently it occurred to me that if i shaved off my right eyebrow i could get at the zit underneath--and for a good 30 seconds it seemed like a good idea. also i attempted to make sugar cookies with whole wheat flour. also i forgot to turn on the oven.

let's agree that i should take it easy on myself and reduce the mental strain. from now until further notice (like, when my next-born turns two), i'm on vacation. apologies if you have a birthday or anniversary coming up. feel free to remind me, but hang tight to that sage playground wisdom: you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

11 comments:

Nicea said...

I think you should have gone for the zit.

Sherry Carpet said...

i did.

no, i didn't. but you would have liked that! until you saw the picture of me looking like a burn victim. then you'd cry.

Kathryn said...

So I'll call you again on Tuesday morning, just to remind you that you wanted to go to the museum. You better be walking by your phone at that exact moment, cause you won't get another chance.

Meg said...

I want to see the one eyebrow look, I bet you could make it a new fad :)

richard dandelion said...

You can shave it off (and the other, too), then paint them on in a scary grimace. You'll look like a Latina gang member ca. 1995.

Tough.

Then you won't have to worry about anyone making you justify what you say. You can just say it and look at them until they relent and/or wet themselves with fear.

kelly riding said...

my birthday is in 45 days. remember it, or else.

richard dandelion said...

Kelly, them's fightin' words. You better hope Krista doesn't take my advice to shave off her eyebrows and join MS13.

Sarah said...

Just remember that you are pregnant. That is the best reason to forget everything you have ever known.

I remember when I we pregnant with Sweet Girl i would say something, then not minutes later I would say it again. Webby would get a weird look on his face. Then I would have this deja vu and remember I just said it. I also once told Sweetie Heart to talk off her socks and get into the toilet (meant bath)! She looked at me inquisitively and started to laugh. Only then did it dawn on me I said it wrong.

So my point is, get a Big calendar, more time for mom's has a great one, and write everything down. If it's not on the calendar I will not be held responsible for forgetting it. I don't even agree to anything unless my calendar is in front of me. I tell the person to call me and check because, you see, my calendar is not in front of me for me to write down to call them. If they really need my help they will call me and ask on my terms.

That's all I have to say about that!

Nicea said...

o' course if you're at my stage of life, it can ALL be written down on the calendar, but if you don't remember to look at it (several times a day cuz once in the morning isn't good enough)....well, you know what happens then! I'm serving in the RS with a woman my age. We've decided that between the two of us, we share one brain....and sometimes only half a brain. So utterly frustrating!

miss kitti said...

Krista, I love you confessions. They delight me. Thanks for being so honest and fun to read.

You should really go easy on yourself. You're pregnant and the mom of Little. That's totally enough for now.

Sharon said...

I didn't think there was anything wrong with whole wheat sugar cookies until my kids said YUCk!!