Sunday, September 13, 2009

this one


oh, this one.

passionate!? have you ever seen a summer storm move over the surface of a lake?

:: :: ::

so, Little Allyn.

your favorite emotion is sad, right now. and really, isn't it wonderful to be sad? they say it takes many more muscles to produce a frown than it does a smile; it very naturally takes a good long while to explore the many expressions that "make a sad."

on friday you stayed in your room for four hours, all alone, entertaining yourself to exhaustion and then sleeping it off. you came out at 5:00 like a force of nature. after dinner, dad was still at work & Liv very predictably fell asleep, but not us. we forgot all about bedtime & stayed up watching Annie. you needed to put on your yellow dancing dress because we had ever so much dancing to do.

and here is where i have to admit that, some days, i really look forward to your bedtime. but that night i couldn't have you out of my sight and we danced and danced. you even let me sing (a little). you narrated most of the movie, though you've never seen it before this week. you got a lot of parts wrong, i am sorry to say.

and here is where i admit that i wasn't a very good singer that night. a sob kept catching in my throat, which was (very!) strange. i couldn't figure it out until i realized: i was just feeling about the happiest i have ever felt in my whole life.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

oh that was really so tender.

kelly riding said...

the precious moments of motherhood. you are amazing. enough said.

richard dandelion said...

Right there with ya, Allyn...

2x2momma said...

I got a little sob in my throat too!!

Nicea said...

"because we had ever so much dancing to do." Your little girls are so lucky to have you as their momma.

The only down side of reading your blog this early in the morning is that I won't have it to look forward to after work. Oh, but yes I will! I can read it again, just like poetry. You can bet I will, too.

Jamie said...

I want to be like you and have kids like yours.

Sherry Carpet said...

jaime, i can't wait to see your kids! especially this one on the way. there is something very special about the firstborn (eh, richard?). the other ones are okay too.

Sherry Carpet said...

nicea, i look forward to your comments and often read them over again too.

jaymie said...

man, you really are a poet. lucky!

that was beautiful krista.

Steve and Sylvia Bushman Family said...

Oh my gosh! You are the greatest writer ever!!! Exclamation!! I love reading your blog. I wanted to cry over this one. Aren't those precious moments?....to be devoured....savored....and kept as a memory for when they are in college and so far away.