Thursday, May 7, 2009

freedom fighter

here's a little journal entry wherein i try to look on the bright side of a pretty--let's face it-- frustrating sitch. Little is testing me. but it's not just the occasional pop quiz (what happens to mom when i poop here?). it's like the SATs of parenting, set on repeat.

i love everything about this girl, so it's not *usually* hard to forgive the requisite toddler fits. it's just hard to be consistent in dealing with them.


i know she needs me to be tough and to teach her how to cope with boundaries, so i'm doing the work. it kind of reminds me of when we were little and my brother and i would beg my mom to do the scary witch voice. she'd say no, you'll get scared, and we'd say, no we won't! please, please! and then she'd give in and we'd instantly wet our pants and beg her to stop.

hm. not sure how that relates.

here are some clams running:
anyway, i think i'm seeing some improvement. it kills me (in the good way) when she does a complete reversal and says, sure, mom! can you make a happy (face), mom? after i threaten to take away some privilege. or when she tries to get away with something by creeping slowly on tiptoe. i liz a little every time.

we had some fun times today. but hubs wants me to go watch the fun tv with him now, so i'll just have to leave a quick recap:

:: first REAL story at bedtime, during which i actually got to read the words on the page and Little actually listened to and commented about the story. as written. (the book: are you my mother?)

:: on our way home from the park (post poop incident, in changed clothes) we had the kind of fun nature discovery walk i have been waiting for. acorns, rainbows in the sprinklers, pinecones...she totally gets it. *sigh*

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

I liked this book
No: Why Kids--of All Ages--Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It by David Walsh
Reinforces my "tough love." But honestly, how tough can I be on someone I'm so madly in love with?

richard dandelion said...

I only wet my pants in sympathy for you, so you wouldn't feel bad.

Nicea said...

"Sure, Mom! Can you make a happy, Mom?"

"Here are some clams running."

With those funnies, I'm TOTALLY ready to take on another Friday at school.

I loved this post and your girls have such a good mommy.

Meg said...

Lyza does the same thing! Whenever I am grumpy with her she asks me to give her a smiley face!
We, too, are going through the same crazy, frustrating, pull-your-hair-out phase with Lyza. I love the tiptoeing!

Jacks said...

Lizzing and running clams all in the same post! I love it.

Your kids are gorgeous. And I feel your pain. I also think you're much better at patience and following through with the consequences than I am. Can I hire you?

Lola said...

just don't ask her where she got those scars.


too soon?

Sarah said...

Go read my blog post.
http://athomenaturally.blogspot.com/2009/05/semi-gift-for-you.html

or go to
http://www.parentingontrack.com/

This is the only thing that has worked for me. I swear by it! If I swore, which I don't, because, you know I'm Mormon! :)

jaymie said...

http://homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html

Sherry Carpet said...

kathryn and sarah: thanks for the tips! i can use all i can get.

RD: riiight.

jacks: i read your blog to get mothering tips, because you're always a few steps ahead of me. your girls are gorgeous too.

lola: i almost posted some joker pictures but they were just a little too creepola.

meg: it's so good to commisserate!

and jaymie: classic. so glad you shared.

Sherry Carpet said...

nicea: thanks, lady! I LOVE YOUR BLOG, so it's nice to see we're mutual admirers. xox