Thursday, August 13, 2009

the anniversary post

yesterday my nephew asked me to tell him my favorite song. ridiculous crazy-face. i told him i could try for a top 5 or 10, but even then i felt stumped. i named a few beatles songs, some nanci griffith, deb talan, lyle lovett, counting crows, lucinda williams. oh! the be good tanyas. but it was like trying to choose which of my children i love best (in a scenario in which i have 100,000 children). then he asked me which of my children i love best. these are tough questions with really easy answers: i don't have a favorite. i have lots of favorites. go watch TV. oh, it's still stolen. go outside and play.

but then tonight i was out celebrating with bim (a little something they call a four-year anniversary) and the movie we went to see used an instrumental version of this song. it sparked a memory of listening to placido domingo sing it on one of my parents' records. i love it. especially this version. it's funny because it's true.

just like my love for bim, who definitely makes my top 5 list (you're welcome, babe). tippy top, actually.

four years may not seem like a long time. and if you compare it to infinity, it's not (if there's anything i learned in first grade). but if you compare it to 3 months, which was bim's relationship record to that point, i made out like a bulldozer.

{that image just works on so many levels.}

these four years have been full of goods, though. lots of different views out of different rental units, lots of furniture being rearranged. i've had two babies, bim has had none (technically), though we share the two i had. he's gone from student to clerk to daytime attorney and after-hours super hero. i've gone from inept PR person to queen of my domain.

and may i just say here how happy i have been? every day for four years i have begun and ended my day with the same prayer: thank you for bim.

don't these people look confident? it's like they know how ridiculously easy marriage is going to be. this is to bim, for making it that way.

"and time after time
you'll hear me say that i'm
so lucky to be loving you."

15 comments:

Jacks said...

This kills me. In a good way. I guess it really just kills my tear ducts. Congrats to y'all. I'm a fan.

Lola said...

can you write my anniversary post, puh-lease? you have 3 days: go.

Liz said...

Congrats. :P Many happy returns and many more years of wedded bliss. :D

Sharon said...

Beautiful!!! all of it, the writing the pictures and the music! Thanks!

Grady Tripp said...

My Dear Girl(s)

How thankful I am for the men in your lives. My MOST fervent prayer is that all my children will live into old old age together with those they love. This will surely come to pass. However, thank you, Krista, for this post that reminds me of how lucky I am....2 times. And thank you Natalie.

...and thanks, Placido, for those amazing pipes. The greatest of these is love.

Dad

Meg said...

Thanks for the tears Tom! Congrats of four years K. We are also grateful for Bim as he helped bring us our lovelies Ally and Liv :) And yes, you do make marriage look easy!

Nicea said...

What Megara said: To Thomas, to you and about Bim. We are grateful for and love you all times a gazillion. Beautiful pictures. Sweet, sweet sentiments.

WV: Nolia - the honest truth, as in the *Beep* truth. No changes period question mark comma 2009. (Pronounced no lie uh.)

Natalie said...

Lovely Krista. Simply lovely. I wish I could have been there then, but I am so glad to be here now. Congratulations.

dana said...

You are a beautiful couple. Really cool to see pictures. Happy Anniversary!

Jana Brookes said...

Krista Happy Anniversary!! I thought of you!! FOUR LONG YEARS!! J/K I'm sure they have been the best years of your life!!

annie said...

what they all said.

beautiful.

kelly riding said...

did you know that i really love you? a lot. this is the sweetest post ever. i want to be like you when i grow up.

Sherry Carpet said...

KELLY! HI! do you know i thought about you when i listened to this song. i think you appreciate placido. i like that about you. i love you too!

Nancy said...

that's my favorite anniversary post ever.

also, how come you have a green sash with a green bouquet and then magically! an orange bouquet and a white sash/corset? did you have two receptions?

Sherry Carpet said...

nancy, hi! we did have two receptions: one in oregon and one in salt lake. 3 days of pictures in all, so three variations on the dress. a friend made it.