Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Safe Place


Some things worry me. "Things" that are, for me, too frightening or disturbing even to write down. I won't go into them here.

But some things don't worry me at all--my home, my future. And here's the big one: my hubs. I am married to someone whose actions obey a conscious, deliberate desire to do right by people. Whose affection is abundant and genuine. Who strives for great things but does nothing at the expense of his family. Who is not above wearing a stupid hat if I ask him to.

Bim just had a birthday and boy am I glad he was born. My love for him is as strong as the shins of a billygoat. As long as all the hotwheels in all the world lined up end to end. As deep as a bearskin rug to a deer tick.

In other words, infinity times infinity.

Because of him I am in a safe place, where I can think and say what's in my heart (even when it's scary) without fear of losing his love and respect. Without that freedom, I think I would be preoccupied with finding it. Having the need met - so frankly that I could easily forget how remarkable it is - lets me think about other things, things not necessarily relating to my personal happiness. Imagine what that means to a person. He makes it possible for me to be greater than I am.

And it's not even my birthday.

We move next week and he has been released from his job as seminary teacher. But tonight he is spending his hours driving those high school kids around Miami so they can have one last party. He spent all afternoon preparing for it and ignored all of my corner-cutting suggestions. That's why he's my favorite.

Happy Birthday, Bim.
(Those of you who know and love Bim, please join me in wishing him a happy 30th! Really, join me - leave comments.)

12 comments:

Nicea said...

I can't even comment on this because of my own inadequate words.

Scott said...

Happy Birthday Bim my friend. Although I cannot boast a love as "strong as the shins of a billy goat" for you, I gotta say, you're one of the truest people I've met. I hope that many years out, our friendship is still tickin'. We're here in Pasadena, saving a place for you.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Cruise on over for a happy birthday wish, Bim:

http://cantforgetthis.blogspot.com/

Nicea said...

But I can say, "Happy Birthday, Bim," right up there with the best of you!

Megan said...

What? Nuts! I can't believe I missed my chance to celebrate another year of your life.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Wait! I always forget that there's an idiots way of saying, 'I'm sorry I missed your big day....'

HAPPY BELATED BURFDAY BIM-DIDDY!

annie said...

happy birthday bim! i know its late, but sometimes its good to stretch em out. :)

Lola said...

To my faaaaaaavorite Bim in Law! I can't believe what big losers the Diaz' are for not wishing you Happy Birthday two days ago...Please for to forgive? We love you... Happy 30th + 2 days!

Travis said...

Happy Birthday!!! The big 30 how cool is that? Thanks Krista for the nice post about Bim. He is a really great guy! I didn't know that you were a seminary teacher Bim. I am sure you were excellent and the kids love you. That was so nice for you to take them on a last outing. Good luck on your move and again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

richard dandelion said...

HB, dude. HB.

Man Child said...

Happy b-day sir. Thank you for taking such good care of my big sis and little bounder niecy. It is a genuine pleasure to have you in our family.

Jana Brookes said...

BIM!!! We are brand new at blogging so yes, we are late, but Krista will tell you that I knew your b-day was on the 14th (right?!) and I hope you had a wonderful 30th!!!! Scary, mine's in 9 months :) We are so very glad that Krista found you!! We have loved getting to know you, and we love your cute little family.