Monday, May 26, 2008

Everyday's a Holiday

Memorial Day dawned early in our house, as all days do...with Little calling for milk and her friend, Max. We decided to beat the other trail bounders and break our Eaton Canyon Curse (to set out for, but never quite reach, the waterfall).

Good thing we started early. The 1.5 mile trail was mostly level, but the many creek crossings slowed us to a 1.5 mile per hour pace. I was nervous at first to see Bim balancing on the wet rocks with Little strapped to his back, but I soon gained confidence in my sure-footed hubs. She even fell asleep sitting upright on the way back.

Yes, we made it all the way to the falls! We keep marveling that this real, true hike is so close. We have become so accustomed to city dwelling that this fresh canyon life feels like a miracle. We passed many a Memorial Day hiker just starting out as we headed back to the car. Suckas! Little actually ran full speed for the last 1/2 mile, stripped to the waist and stopping only to greet doggies and practice her jumping.

Following the hike, Little and I indulged in a long holiday nap while Bim worked. When we woke up, Bim suggested that we honor Memorial Day by visiting the cemetery where my grandfather--Little's great grandpa, Thomas L. Halverson, a veteran of WWII--is buried. Little enjoyed the grassy hill and the flowers.


Yet more family fun followed...we stopped by the Taylors' for some grilled food and backyard romping. They have a trampoline...mmmm.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

So are we just not talking about little pink lines or what? Inquiring minds want to know!

Sherry Carpet said...

little pink lines? like, am i prego again? sure, let's talk about it. i am. congrats for picking up the not-so-subtle hints.

(ps. i hope that's what you were getting at. if not, surprise anyway!)

Nicea said...

There have been lots of hints, K., but I didn't want to, you know, be a nosy auntie or anything. But what pushed me over the top was reading Sylvia Plath's poem just now that you've posted for June. Am I wrong or are all of those metaphors metaphors for pregnancy? Congratulation!!! What lucky children you and Bim have to have you as parents. It's so great that you take so many little day trips to interesting places and let Ali run and play.

Natalie said...

Hints...??? How obtuse am I?? Congratulations to both of you! Ali clearly proves you know how to make a great Little. This is such great news!

miss kitti said...

Congratulations on finishing the hike. The waterfall looks pretty. Yay on the pink lines!

Tyler and Jenica said...

Yes we are in California! My email is jenicaparcell@gmail.com. I would love to come visit!!! You can help show me the ropes a litte around here!

Cheryloxx said...

Congrats Krista, I can't think of a finer club I'd rather join than one you are a part of! :o)

C

Tyler and Jenica said...

ps please send me your email and phone number :)