Thursday, January 28, 2010

like a red rubber ball

this post is alternately titled, "WHO CARES?"

this is day 3 of wearing my speedster-nerdo orthopedic inserts. for the past 2 years or more, i would rate my foot pain at a steady 6-8 on a scale of 1-10, where 1= "i'm aware i have ankles" and 10 = "i can't walk." as it grew worse, people started noting the so-called "hitch in my giddy-up" and i realized i've been limping through most of the day.

i finally visited a couple of physical therapists, one of whom visibly shrank back when she saw how far my feet rotate in an apparently unhealthy direction. this is probably the result of ligament damage from various sprains. fast forward through more doctor visits, shoe fittings and orthopedic assessments to:

ZERO PAIN! i just feel like i should say thank you. so, thanks, "Stellar Prosthetics," for your excellent work with foam and cork. and thank you, New Balance, for your wide shank stabilicore running shoes (of which i may have made a bit of fun).

{also happy to report that liv & i have recovered from another stomach virus. getting ready for a bright & healthy february 2010. wishing you the same.}

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I wore orthotic inserts as a kid. Cool people wear them.

That means we're both cool. Just so you know.

p.s. glad your pain is now ZERO!

Shawn said...

That is so great! I know Dunc's inserts have helped him a lot. I also know I need some help. My problem--at my age, which pain do I address first?!

Nicea said...

First, I love your photos. I'm in serious need of some sweet baby cheeks and neck to smooch. Could Liv oblige me please?

Second, I CARE. PAIN FREE!!!!A great big WaHOOOOOOO to ya. Annie's dance teacher was the one who noticed how Annie's feet turned in so Annie's had orthotic inserts for a long time. Amanda has them. Fred has them. I have them. My only regret is that I didn't do anything about mine until I was 40. Instant relief even then, though. But I probably could have avoided some bunion and knee problems if I'd taken care of it earlier. Who knew?

Third, WV: pedlerca. Appropriate root word, eh?

The Hunt House said...

Isn't it amazing how long we suffer needlessly when there is SOO much help out there? Stellar is truly stellar. We almost took Paige there for her little helmet but our insurance wasn't contracted. Way to go! SOOO glad you are pain free. And...we miss you.

Meg said...

Brian just had to get inserts for his shoes as well, though he didn't go to the doctor. Wonder if it is a family thing? Glad you and Liv are feeling better and NO PAIN!!

richard dandelion said...

I just dropped a chunkachange on custom orthotics for me, too. By the end of a teaching day, I'm at a 10. Hurts so good.

My orthotics so far haven't relieved the pain significantly, but I'm hoping that's because I need to adjust to them. Here's hoping.

Also it could have something to do with the fact that we have essentially the same bone structure, but I weigh easily as much as two of you.

So glad you're relieved!

Jana Brookes said...

Yeah for no pain in the feet!! What are your suggestions for no pain in the back??!! Just get a new back, maybe that would work?! I think your feet look so tiny and cute in that pic....I know I'm a nerd too!
Glad you and Liv feel better. She HASTA feel better for her BIRFDAY TOMORROW!!! No one year old sicky poos! NOPE NOPE NOPE! Hope she has a fun day and digs in.

Sherry Carpet said...

wow, who knew there were so many cool people who share my affliction?! thanks for standing by me, peeps.