Saturday, January 9, 2010

"my lil' bird has a lil' bird"

yesterday Little walked around talking to the imaginary bird on her index finger. the bird's name is kanji, she explained. oh, and kanji has a bird named chachi. sometime during the day i also overheard a conversation between her and grandpa in which she played both parts. miss grandpa much?

i used to tell Bim i was excited to hear my girl talk to me using actual English words. could any idea be more hilarious and absurd? indeed. the reality exceeds expectations.

we're back from holiday travels and missing the snow. Little taught her classmates to make snowballs out of sand at preschool yesterday.

double sigh (one sad, one happy). we've traded the "frolic architecture of snow"* for the ever verdant scenes of southern california. Lauren stayed home with a napping Wee yesterday so i could take Little on a date to the Huntington Children's Garden. we had so much fun that Little actually levitated. (beat that, bim.)

*ralph waldo emerson

in honor of my little bird's little bird's little bird, i will send a CD of our favorite bird songs to the first 5 responders to this post. (to get you through the long, cold winter.)

Blackbird: Sarah McLachlin
Over the Rainbow: Judy Garland
Winter's Come & Gone: Elizabeth Mitchell
Little Wing: Elizabeth Mitchell
Beautiful Bluebird: Neil Young
Wake Up Little Sparrow: Lizz Wright
Mockingbird: Peter, Paul & Mary
The Littlest Birds: The Be Good Tanyas
Yardbird Suite: Charlie "Bird" Parker
Birdhouse in Your Soul: TMBG
Flightless Bird, American Mouth: Iron & Wine
Fly Me to the Moon: Diana Krall ('cause birds fly.)
Gulf Coast Highway: Nanci Griffith
Top of the World: Dixie Chicks
Songbird: Eva Cassidy
Skylark: KD Lang

not necessarily in that order.

(any other bird song suggestions?)

20 comments:

Meg said...

I am loving this last happy picture! We miss her!! Lyza's imaginary friend is Po the panda from Kung Fu Panda. She does lots with him, and every once in a while I will get in trouble for sitting on him or locking him in the car :)

Sharon said...

What a cute post.

How about Birdhouse in your soul, by they might be giant.

I really wanted to comment so I could get a cd ;)

Jacks said...

Bird songs: Wind Beneath my Wings, Rockin' Robin - but don't include those. They would ruin your really great list.

Um, I like the levitation. And the curls!

Sherry Carpet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicea said...

That is priceless!

Nicea said...

I forgot to mention that Amanda's imaginary friend was Buggy (or Buggie?). We actually never have discussed the spelling. :) And Amanda never levitated either.

Yea! A bird tune CD. I'll try to think of another bird song, but you already have a really great list going.

abbyjane said...

i'm too late.

Sherry Carpet said...

neesh: i remember buggy!

abbyjane: no, you're not too late. you're number 5! just need your mailing address - email it to me, please?

annie said...

rats. i'm too late.

great post though, as always. :)

Natalie said...

i'm with Annie, to late! Would begging help?

Man Child said...

I think you should get "Skylark" sung by K.D. Lang. Best version ever man!

Shawn said...

I'm pretending I'm number 4 or 5, just for my own well being. But even though I don't qualify for a CD, I did enjoy your post A LOT.

Grady Tripp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grady Tripp said...

Gulf Coast Highway?

Sarah said...

shoot missed it! :(

Jana Brookes said...

beat that, bim!! so do you often compete on who entertains little in the bestest way?! love that pic!

did you add the cd prize on later? cause i swear i read through the post, and meant to comment later, and then i see this cd prize! oh well. i like "in the leafy treetops" off primary song cd!!

Sherry Carpet said...

HOLY CRAP, Grady & BHal. you two win the grand prize. how could i have even considered a bird mix without those two. i am horrified that i didn't think of them first.

2x2momma said...

I'm so way late I feel like I shouldn't even comment cause I'm trying to weasel a cd, but I LOVE your post and your songlist and your little Littles. Love to see you guys soon
xo

Nancy said...

I lose. but great post.

Nancy said...

Also, I can't wait to take Baby to the huntington children's garden. when she can walk, when she can walk.