Wednesday, September 17, 2008

the better angels of our nature

what the heck is conviction anyway, and what is its best application? the word is full of contradiction. this post is not trying to be anything. it's maybe a little appeal to the better angels of our nature, to stay friendly, and keep listening, in the midst of debate.

sometimes i blog because (admit it) i like to be agreed with occasionally. and sometimes because i can't sleep, and sometimes because Little did something cute that i want to remember, and sometimes because i just can't rest for wondering. isn't it sometimes painful? i've been hit hard by some questions of faith and reason lately and there's an impulse to run for the protection of conformity, or at least, the oblivion of past assumptions. i just can't escape from myself, tho. do you feel this way? like on the outside you're a nice gal with a ponytail, but on the inside a screaming banshee swinging a crowbar over her head? just kidding.
sort of.

tonight, here's something to wonder about: is it more valuable to be right, or to have the ability to change? and to become a new creature (ideally a better one), don't we have to be pretty brave and pretty, um, unlike ourselves? doesn't it require us to cast off from our parents and our history, and from the pretense of our own convictions, and enter that scary land of not-so-sure, where (if we're doing it right) we have no ground beneath us: where we give it all up to truly ask, and honestly receive?

on sunday with my beehives we talked about the harsh beauty--the gift--of weakness and arrived at the inevitable admission: that in our vulnerability we are closest to god.

always, despite the agony that comes with uncertainty, i have to believe that a yearning to know is innate and divine. and that humility isn't about not having stuff; it's having nothing of one's own but a want. a dogged desire.

and isn't that where the real work of change is done? not really in our debates with others, and even less in the delicious vindication of agreement with our allies, but in the debate within ourselves.

i have wanted to be like martin luther,* and i guess i still do, to say with all the faith and conviction in the world, "here i stand. i can do no other." certainty feels sooo good. and sometimes i really do feel that way. it feels like something great and important. something to build on. hey, what about this?? what if the philosophy is true: that we invariably end where we began. and who we are is who we have always been. if so, our internal changes may be nothing but a fiction that, like the best literature, helps us to truly understand others--if only for a minute.

*of course, half the point is that he changed too. big time.

i can rely on one constant: i'm inevitably challenged by more questions--the need to rethink, retest, reimagine. it can feel exhausting, even discouraging. self-doubt? or just a pretty sure feeling there is something larger yet to discover? sometimes i wonder if this is what winston churchill called the black dog. painful or not, it's an impulse we can thank abraham lincoln for indulging when he fought to maintain a union in the midst of blood, hatred and fear. he, for one, didn't think he was right all the time.

i've started too many questions to answer any of them, but if you're up late like me, then you're probably more interested in musing than accomplishing anything anyway. so, goodnight. i'll most likely kill you (post) in the morning.

take it away, abe:

"I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

14 comments:

richard dandelion said...

Wow. In case anyone's wondering how you tell a real poet from a wannabe, this is how.

Please don't take this down.

The next several posts on my blog are going to be my attempt to address some of the issues you raise here. I've been wrestling with this dichotomy (knowing and not knowing) at least since my mission, when, all of the sudden, the things I thought I was certain of suddenly didn't account for the world as I was observing it.

Thank you for this.

Sarah said...

I'm defiantly not as deep a thinker as you, but I know where you're coming from. I have also recently had a faith demoting experience. It's very tough to not question the things that you believed before. Not that it's your problem. Anyway, we grow, we change and in the end we are hopefully a better person than we were before our experience.

I know that the I am a member of the restored gospel, that this is God's church. But I have problems hearing answers. What if the answers I thought were coming from God were actually just me? It changes everything. I'm struggling. I feel like I'm being punished. It's tough, but I have to keep to the one thing that I know is true. As I do that I will learn what this was all about and be a better person.

I'd love to talk to you, but I don't think I have your number. Call me!

Nicea said...

Wow. That one word alone puts me in league with the vocabulary-rich JT, et. al. (see first comment above.)

I love this post. I think we DO have to cast off from our parents and our history and our own convictions in order to strip down to the point that we really have nothing left of our own but a dogged desire--and no floor beneath us--so that we are utterly and completely vulnerable. We ultimately have to come by our knowledge for ourselves.

This doesn't mean that our subsequent search can't or won't take us back to those things of our parents and our history, but if it does, we will know that WE reasoned and struggled and in naked sincerity asked, then honestly received.

And what if the search doesn't take us back to the convictions of our parents and our history? If our search was an honest one, that won't matter. If THEIR search was an honest one, we'll have arrived at the same place.

Nicea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicea said...

P.S. Richard, I'm looking forward to what you have to say. Hurry already!

Sherry Carpet said...

i love your comments (and not just the overly generous compliments, though that was pretty nice too). i can't wait for RD's posts, either.

Shawn said...

Beautiful, Krista...

"and isn't that where the real work of change is done? not really in our debates with others, and even less in the delicious vindication of agreement with our allies, but in the debate within ourselves"

was the most poignant part for me, other than the "screaming banshee", that is.

(insert whiney voice here) But I love to be agreed with and I love to be right....ask Greg. And some days I get so exhausted from the debate within myself over so many things. What's a woman to do? Answer: watch mind-numbing tv

miss kitti said...

SC -this post struck a major chord with me. I'm even a little verclempt. Really.

Figuring out who I am, who I have been, where I'm going has been so very hard. And like Nicea and Shawn said, exhausting.

I like the thought that who I am now is who I've always been. It fills me with hope that I haven't gotten away from me.

The biggest surprise so far, I think, has been how painful it is for me to discover that I am very different from my parents and much of my family.

I'm having to work harder at finding common ground and at the same time still find out who or what I have faith in.

Thank you for your honesty and insight. As always, I love hearing what you have to say.

2x2momma said...

When I was a young un I was perfectly certain that nonconformity was the only real way to live- looking outside conventions to find truth brought so much clarity. But I think I got lonely, and now I find myself embracing the gifts that conformity brings very happily, but with an uncertainty as well.
(Does that make sense to anyone other than me?)
Your post about living somewhere in between in order to keep the search alive is fascinating. I think you've inspired some serious mulling...

Nicea said...

All this mulling about who we are has prompted me (along with today's date) to ponder also WHERE we are. Due to the non-existence of my own blog, let me momentarily hijack Sherry Carpet's and say: It's Alex's birthday today! He would have turned 30 if he were here. But if there's a P-day where he is, I'd bet bucks he's in the mountains of Afghanistan hunting down Osama (mostly so he could be in the mountains)--or heavily engaged in campaigning for Obama--or both. (Any linking of Osama with Obama, other than as presumed subjects of interest to Alex is purely unintentional. Really.) Happy birthday to him!

You are now free to move about in mulling. Thank you, Sherry.

Maudie Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maudie Jane said...

It must be a family thing K, because I’m feeling the need for others to talk amongst themselves too. What a great post. Thank you.

Sherry Carpet said...

Happy Birthday to Owlix! I am so glad you said so, Nicea. What a man he would be to know at 30. Thinking of him today--and you too. Hijack this blog anytime.

annie said...

great post, k. so glad you didn't kill it. you are such a fantastic writer and pose such great questions and thoughts in ways like no other.

like the above commenters, i also wrestle with these questions. usually the struggle comes through in my art. (i once told a professor that making art was my therapy. she didn't like that much.)