Monday, September 22, 2008

fa la la la LA!!!!!!!!

lauren reminded me that i only have two weeks to plan my christmas craft for october conference. (this is a halvy tradition instigated by our mum). it really only works if you can watch conference from home, especially if there's a sewing machine involved.

not that i haven't been thinking about christmas (every day) and having my family come to my house. but i don't have my craft picked out yet. let me know if you have any suggestions. here's one that's in the running:

i've recently taken up needle felting. Little calls these little clippies "cutes." nice compliment. it might be worth something if she'd wear one in her hair for more than 10 seconds.

once in a while i make a toy for Little and remember why i don't want to go into the toy making biz. oh, i just don't. Little plays hard and usually finds a way to break whatever i make. not her fault, really. i get impatient to finish and my workmanship gets shoddy. but i did make this long-legged owl for her last week. she peeled off its eyes.

10 comments:

annie said...

love it. who needs eyes anyway?

ps, there's some poetry on this blog that you might enjoy... http://www.oliviabirdsall.com/ its a friend of a friend so i can't claim the privilege of knowing her, but i like to stalk her blog now and then...

Sherry Carpet said...

i sort of know olivia--we were both writing fellows at byu and later lived in nyc at the same time...but i didn't know she wrote poetry. i'll check it out! thanks, cuz.

dana said...

ADORABLE. I'm super impressed with your felting skills. I have never had the patience. You should really sell those (Unless it's not worth your time)...but I see an etsy shop in the works...
especially with that cute cute Owl. So cute.

On a random note, every time I come to your blog, the playlist is overlapping the posts so it's hard to see some of the pictures. Maybe it's just my computer, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Lola said...

now i totally see what you mean and super cute! almost cute enough to be ok if that's what you plan on getting me for christmas, but not quite, i still want a real present. (just to clear up any confusion) ace, i DO want some clippies for christmas, i Do, i Do!

Nicea said...

That is such a great idea: to make a crafty thing during general conference. Do you all still do it? Or at least you two girls?

Jacks said...

Love the owl. Love the clippies. Love the ideas. I support the vote for Etsy. You should.

Sherry Carpet said...

i think j and b do it too, neesh. they kind of got stuck on in a christmas elf phase.

Meg said...

I think what I really love is that you have a picture of you taking a picture of yourself in your last two posts. You crack me up.

I made Elyza a baby bed out of an old shoe box which I lined with fun fabric and then made a sort of mattress to go inside. The bed is no more, as she slowly ripped all the fabric off the box and tore apart the make-shift mattress. Presh.

richard dandelion said...

CHRISTMAS ELVES RULE. It's no phase. Unless pure unadulterated joy is a "phase." (Actually, I've found that Christmas elves are one of the most efficient storage media for the soulcrushing guilt and self loathing that Conference always inspires.)

Also, I was just wondering whether the owl finally talked, or if Little had to resort to waterboarding... (Rummy could learn a trick or two!)

Sherry Carpet said...

RD: owl is running scared. or would be, if little would let it out of her cage/crib. blind and terrified. it's no way to live.